I got the idea to make this soup from the Chipotle Shredded Chicken Tacos. The tacos were so good I wanted a little more of the same flavor profile. There was a little shredded chicken leftover from the tacos, and I had 1 1/2 chicken breasts left from the initial Big Cooking. The butternut squash adds a hearty autumnal flavor and the chipotle peppers add heat. This soup will definitely warm you up.
Warning: If you do not like spicy heat you can leave out the chipotle peppers. However, you will be missing out on some great flavors.
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minus 2, used for tacos)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, halved
- avocado oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Smokey Southwestern Seasoning (see website)
- 1 1/2 c roasted cherry tomatoes (these were part of the big cooking)
- 2 cans heavy coconut cream
- 2 c chicken stock
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 c green beans, cooked, diced (these were part of the big cooking)
- 3 c cooked chicken breast, shredded (these were part of the big cooking)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roast butternut squash on a sheet pan for about 60 minutes or until squash can easily be pierced by a fork. Set aside to cool. Cube squash.
In a large dutch oven warm avocado oil over medium heat. Add onion and seasoning. cook until onions are softened and translucent. Add chipotle peppers and cherry tomatoes. Break up peppers and tomatoes with spoon. Add butternut squash. Stir until well combined.
Blend ingredients with chicken stock. It should make a thick paste. You can blend either by immersion blender, food processor or blender. All will work well for this step. Return blended mixture to dutch oven.
Add coconut cream, maple syrup, lime zest and juice. Stir well. You can add more chicken stock if you find it is too thick. Add green beans and shredded chicken. Stir until well combined. Cook until soup is completely heated through. Serve. Eat. Enjoy.
Note: I recommend serving biscuits with this soup.
2nd Note: I was able to freeze some of the soup for another time. Use this when you forget to defrost something. You can reheat it in a dutch oven on the stove.