Mini frittatas are great for any meal or snack. I like to make a batch of 6 frittatas so that we have a protein packed, grab-n- go meal or snack. This recipe has a little extra sharp cheddar cheese, so depending on your tolerance for dairy you could leave it out. I hope you can leave it in, because it packs a punch of flavor.
Tip: Make your oven bacon first. That way you can use the bacon fat to brush on the muffin tin cups. This does double duty: 1) Keeps the frittatas from sticking to the muffin cups and 2) It Gives you added bacon flavor. Think about it, more bacon flavor – mmm. That is a win-win in my book.
- 6 strips of oven bacon ,chopped (reserve some of the bacon fat to brush on the muffin wells)
- 1 tsp bacon fat, plus some for brushing the muffin cups
- 1/2 c onion, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp all-purpose seasoning (see website)
- 1/3 c extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp thyme, fresh (strip the thyme leaves from stems)
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3/4 c egg whites
- 6 eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add onions and all-purpose seasoning; saute until onions are golden. Remove from heat and set aside. Combine bacon, onions, cheddar, thyme, salt, pepper, egg whites and whole eggs. Whisk vigorously until well incorporated.
Brush a 6 well muffin pan with the melted bacon fat. Spoon egg mixture into muffin wells. Bake for 20 minutes or until set.